Search This Blog

Friday 5 March 2010

On Homesickness

"She complains now but when we go to pick her up she won't want to leave." -Marge (after reading Lisa's letter from Kamp Krusty).

So yeah, it's been about five or so months since I have first set foot on the country of England. Let's just say my first impression of England was fairly average. Not too fascinating, but not so boring either. Frankly, I was wondering what all the hype about this country was from all of my friends who studied abroad. Well, I guess to be fair they studied in London. In some ways, I think they were just caught in somewhat of a tourist trap. Then again, I fell into a tourist traps of sorts... I decided to attend a school in Bournemouth. While the average American will most likely never have heard of this place, it seems that Bournemouth is a place where people from the UK would want to go for a vacation.
Sure the place is nice. It took a while for it to actually grow on me. but yeah I've gotten used to the fact that I am living and studying in a foreign country. But lately, I've come to realize how homesick I am. Yes I am one of those who is driven nuts by their family, but who isn't? However, it's not just family that I miss. It's pretty much everything. Driving on the right side of the road, American-sized portions, American way of spelling/pronouncing words. really, it's all the small, subtle stuff I miss. But what I miss most of all are my friends. Yes, I know missing my friends more than family seems harsh, but in all reality, I know that I'm going to see family eventually. but with friends it's a bit more unsure. I don't know what I'm talking about anymore. Anyhoo, the thing is my homesickness really didn't hit in until this week, really. So elections for student union president and stuff was going on this week. One of the candidates for an executive position, looked surprisingly like my best friend Anna. When seeing this candidate from afar, I thought to myself "Anna? What are you doing here?"And then it hit me, on how much I miss her. So I really haven't come up with any soul affirming resolutions, I guess I just needed to write down what I was feeling... So to all my friends out there, I send out my love and miss you all! Yeah, think about it...

1 comment:

  1. It is true that the distance and the time can create rifts in friendship (unless you are Robert Angelo Rusca)but in my mind I always picture my future self alongside my current--though similarly-futuristic--friends. There is no doubt in my mind that we will meet again one day though I too am separated from them at the moment. What's more, the distance and time are relative to one another i.e. the longer apart we are time-wise, the shorter the distance we are apart mentally/emotionally/spiritually..er...wise. Yeah.

    ReplyDelete