Search This Blog

Saturday 24 July 2010

Shows of emotion...

So I've been going through a rump in my life lately but something that I just recently got over thankfully... okay let's not beat around the bush here. As of late I've been going through a really severe (or at least what I felt to be a severe) bout of depression. This is something I have not felt in years. I don't want to say how bad it got mainly because of the repercussions that may arrise from it. Luckily, my best friend (from England :) was staying with me at the time and helped me get through it. I want to say that it was a short ordeal but then I'd be lying...

The lowest of the low probably lasted about two and a half weeks. Leading up to it was kind of a long ordeal... The main problem I think with depression is the fact that we really can't talk about it... yes, that's right I said we can't really talk about it. I may sound like somebody going on a rant about the evils of our society but whatever, this is important. We live in a society where it is often seen as a form of weakness to show emotions. Yet how are we supposed to be able to deal with the emotional problems that many of us have. Sure we can go to therapists and psychiatrists but that is much easier said than done...

Even if we do go to a therapist of some sort, we often look at that as a sign of weakness as well. The thing is I have ways of hiding my depression which often work but sometimes it's a bit too hard to hide. Having people ask me what's wrong often make me feel uncomfortable - in the sense that I'm letting my vulnerable state show. It makes me feel as if I were a weakling. and when it comes to the therapist having to go to one can make people feel "weak." Atop that they have to be vulnerable to a complete stranger revealing very emotional details about their lives. It's a spiral of vulnerability.

But i've come to a revelation with the help of friends... Being vulnerable is not the same as being weak. If anything, being vulnerable and allowing yourself to be vulnerable is a sign of strength. You are breaking from the society's standards, rebelling against them. Allowing yourself to be vulnerable only shows how secure you are with yourself and your emotions. It's like what the anthropologist Ruth Behar essentially said - if you show yourself as being vulnerable people will react with vulnerability. Being vulnerable is the only way for others to be vulnerable as well. So let's all be vulnerable, it'll make for a emotionally healthier and sensitive society. It is only through mutual vulnerability that we can truly understand each other...

Yeah, think about it...

2 comments:

  1. Vulnerability.

    It is, ultimately, an ABILITY and not a fault. Not everyone possesses the talent you fear.

    Yeah, chew on that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi my name is Thordis, I stumbled upon your blogsite when I was looking for information about the forensic archaeology at Bournemouth. I was wondering if you could tell me how you liked it and if you would recommend it?
    My e-mail is thh57@hi.is
    Kind regards,
    Thordis

    ReplyDelete